Friday 28 February 2014

An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away


Apple Nachos
As I am sure I have mentioned before, I have an uncontrollable urge to snack. Something I have on a regular basis is apple slices with peanut butter so I thought why not expand that? With all of that in mind, this week I made apple nachos! Apples are an excellent source of fiber and also contain antioxidants that carry many health benefits.
What I love most about this recipe is combining fresh fruit and ingredients with a little creativity can turn into a simple, yet incredibly delicious healthy snack. The best part of apple nachos is your imagination. You can use any ingredients to create the perfect toppings in order for this to be your favourite snack. Instead of using apples, you could also use pears or bananas. The recipe I made consists of natural sugar, which makes this a perfect sweet cheat that you can have more than once a week!
A tip I used for keeping fruits such as apples and bananas from turning brown in colour once cut is simply tossing them in lemon juice. Brown fruit is not appealing especially to kids so this little secret helps keep your fruit looking fresh.
Fruit nachos are a perfect a late night snack or after school snack for kids. I hope you all try this simple snack and let me know the alterations you have made!
Those of you similar to myself, here are some tips from Brett to help with your cravings. Enjoy!

Here is my recipe.

11 comments:

  1. That saying could not be more true! I love the recipe you have provided and I will definitely give it a try. "Apple nachos" - that just sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now mouthwatering. Eating and staying healthy is very good habit. I like your posts because I am also one of uncontrollable girls to snacks. But I do want to keep healthy lifestyle. Great posts Alessandra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the title. But if the doctor is cute...
    I never heard of apple nachos. I am actually very glad you posted a picture, otherwise I would't have know how they look like. I am so curious, that I will definitely try it out. Thanks Ale. this blog is great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alessandra, awesome post! I also LOVE apples and peanut butter... Been snacking on that combo since I was a boy.

    You have really inspired me to take that epic combination and pimp it out into something even more delicious.

    I can't wait to see what I can come up with... The possibilities seem endless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious Alessandra! I now want to try this. I sometimes forget that you can mix other ingredients together and enjoy instead of just eating the fruit or one ingredient at a time. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all things taco/nacho related and I am certainly open to a healthier option of either. Adorable blog design and great blog topic, I will definitely be trying your recipes out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for introducing me to my new addiction!
    I told my girlfriend about this and she is just as excited.
    Awesome tip for keeping fruit looking fresh too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My roommate got me hooked on something very similar to this. I'll melt peanut butter in the microwave and cut up some banana and pour the peanut butter on top. Easy Peasy. These apple nachos remind me of it. I really want to try these. They look so yummy, and peanut butter and apples are so good together, so I can only imagine how much better they'd be with coconut and pecans!
    Awesome Post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well this I would be okay with eating once a day. Maybe more, you know, if it keeps the doctor away. "Unless the doctor is cute, then screw the fruit!"
    Awesome post, Alessandra. I feel like I wanna try doing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mouth literally started watering looking at the picture of apple nachos. I am 100% going to try these. thank so much for the post Alessandra, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like a nice twist on apples.
    I'll be sure to try it next time I'm craving something sweet.
    Excellent read.

    ReplyDelete