Friday 7 March 2014

A Spoonful of Sugar

After watching health fitness guru Brett Caps’ video, “How to handle your Cravings”, I was inspired to blog about the harmful effects of sugar. I will be the first to admit that I have a sugar addiction, but my question is how did this begin? I rarely had candy as a kid and never cared for chocolate… until recently. I realized once I started eating chocolate, I loved it and could probably eat it everyday. Here’s why the more you eat it the more you need it. You become addicted to the cycle of sugar.

Processed sugar has a number of harming effects.   
  • Suppresses the immune system
  • Contributes to weight gain and obesity
  • Increases the risk of fatty liver disease
  • Causes headaches, including migraines
  • Causes tooth decay
  • Raises harmful cholesterol
  • Contributes to diabetes

According to Dr. Oz, cravings are driven by your mind and not necessarily by hunger. This means that you do not need to fulfill them. Conversely, if you distract yourself long enough, the cravings will pass. If your body is craving sugar, perhaps it may be a cue for the body needing energy. Fruit is a healthy alternative and leaves your body satisfied.


For some other suggestions, I recommend the previously mentioned Healthy CookieDough Bits, which are made without processed sugar. In addition, I would also suggest my friend’s new recipe for her Quinoa Granola Bars. Recently, I have been snacking on yogurt-covered strawberries that can be easily made with this 3-step recipe.




8 comments:

  1. One thing I do every time I bake is replace any type of oil or melted butter/margarine with unsweetened applesauce in equal measures. For example, if the recipe calls for 1/4 cup of oil, put in 1/4 c of applesauce. If you are making carrot cake, which calls for 1 cup of oil, use the applesauce and not only do you save yourself grease, you take away ALL the fat from the cake. Using sugar substitutes is okay occasionally, however, try using natural sweeteners as often as possible, like honey, stevia and agave. they are all delicious subs for sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that sugar can be just as addictive as drugs or alcohol, which is kind of a scary thought. I always follow recipes exactly but my aunt is a diabetic and she usually uses substitutes or just cuts the sugar down entirely. I have to admit, it doesn't taste the same, or better, but I guess it is better for your health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I had no idea that sugar could be so harmful to your body. I will have to try and find some distractions or grab an apple instead of reaching for my afternoon cookie to fulfill my sugar cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love sugar, and my sweet tooth is always craving some. It's so true how bad it is for you though so hard to resist (currently, eating aero orange chocolate). I will definitely have to try those yogurt covered strawberries though, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post feels so relevant to me right now. I binged on penny candies two weeks ago and found that I was having intense sugar cravings every afternoon and evening after. It wasn't until I made a conscious effort to fight them, stay hydrated, and indulge my cravings with real sugar like fruits. I love the suggestion of frozen grapes - partially frozen watermelon is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! I am always trying to find ways to make healthy but yummy treats. I really like the idea about frozen grapes - I will have to give that a try. And I am I huge Dr. Oz fan haha! (Lexa)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I read somewhere that if you're hungry when you shouldn't be, trying drinking water instead, as dehydration can appear as hunger pangs. I hope it works for sugar as well!

    Keep up the great work, Alessandra!

    -J-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...I think I need to rethink my sugar intake. I am totally a sugar craving type of gal, so I really appreciate your suggestions for alternate recipe ideas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete